Get the most out of your small CX team

5th May 2023

Forrester predicts that in the next year, one in five customer experience (CX) programmes will disappear, but one in 10 will be stronger than ever. The pressure is on for all CX practitioners—but small CX teams are feeling the heat the most. But just because you have a small team doesn’t mean you can’t make a major impact.

In our over two decades of experience, we’ve worked with many small-but-mighty teams of around one to three people. And though it’s easy to feel overwhelmed when you have big obstacles but limited resources, we’re here to tell you success is possible—if you use your time wisely. 

That’s why it’s absolutely crucial to focus on CX strategies that help your organisation get the most out of your programme. What strategies will support CX success for your small team? Keep on reading to find out!

#1: Focus on Quick Wins

Much like baseball, customer experience is a game of singles. You can’t magically tackle every customer issue at once—especially with limited resources. Instead, you need to understand what most negatively impacts a specific customer journey and focus on solving that problem. Then line ‘em up, and knock ‘em down. 

For example, let’s say that your call centre data shows customers frequently complain about the login experience for their online account. Then you know you need to dig into the call transcripts and other available unstructured data to understand what about that experience is making such a negative impact on your customers. (Get a step-by-step guide on how to do this here.)

#2: Lock In Your Executive Champion

o get your CX programme started, you likely needed an executive sponsor. But in order to have long-term impact, you need to maintain their support. 

This may be easier for the 53% of CX practitioners who say their executives want their firm to be a CX leader, but for the other 47%, making an exec-friendly business case is everything. Your team will need to craft a compelling story, leverage strong visuals, and prove tangible ROI to really knock it out of the park! 

Sound a bit overwhelming? Don’t worry—we’ve put together a guide to crafting your CX business case here.

#3: Sell Your Programme Internally 

With your executive sponsor in place, now it’s time to sell the rest of your organisation. Realistically, you won’t be able to get every employee to buy-in—that’s why you need to sell your programme to key individuals that can help you to take action and influence other team members. 

How? You need to adopt a salesperson approach to your own programme. Make it clear to team members in other departments exactly what they can gain from CX insights: optimised processes, access to data that can inform decision-making, and wins of their own.

#4: Leverage Your CX Partner

Having a small CX team or even just one CX employee can mean that it’s hard to validate ideas or discuss new ones. In fact, four out of five CX teams will lack critical design, data, and journey skills. And that’s understandable when you have a small team—you can’t be absolutely everything for everyone. 

Luckily, you can lean on your CX partner as an extension of your team, especially if your vendor provides you with dedicated services and team members!

It’s Time to Level Up

Now that you understand the four strategies for success, it’s time to make an actionable plan to turn those strategies into a reality. 

For your small CX team, every second counts. You simply don’t have time to waste with a vendor that doesn’t work for you or understand what makes your business different. 

At InMoment, we don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions or set-and-forget programs. Our award-winning technology is built to integrate into your existing tech stack and align to your business goals. And our expert services? Your dedicated team is with you every step of the way. You are always able to reach out to an expert who is intimately familiar with your programme.

Want to learn how InMoment can help you maximise your CX strategy? Let us show you!

Replies (0)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

There are currently no replies, be the first to post a reply.