Share this content
MyCustomer.com

Consumers slam mobile retail experiences

by
27th Sep 2011
Share this content

Retailers need to work harder to improve their mobile offering, after new research found that less than a third of consumers were satisfied with the mobile retail experience.

The study by Stibo Systems found that only 27% of consumers surveyed were satisfied with their mobile retail experience, and only 8.6% rated their experience as ‘excellent.’
But with only 30% of consumers already using their mobile device to make a purchase, the remaining 70%represents a massive opportunity for retailers.
Top of the wish list for consumers was more detailed product information, whether this is product descriptions, sizes or codes, they still believe more could be done by retailers to improve their mobile offering.
Sixty seven per cent of respondents stated that their laptop was their preferred medium for online browsing and shopping. Meanwhile 6% of the 1,000 consumers surveyed said their smartphone and 2% say their tablet suits them best. 
But small screen size and security top the list of reasons holding respondents back from embracing m-commerce. Perhaps surprisingly it’s the younger generation that is more anxious about the security of their device (53%) compared with the over 55+ (29%).
The lack of product information was one of the most consistent reasons for not making a purchase across the age groups with 15% of consumers citing this as a reason.
Mark Thorpe, managing director UK at Stibo Systems, said the sophistication of mobile devices, coupled with lifestyle shifts and the demand for quick and easy meant that m-commerce was now a reality.
“People are beginning to place more trust in their mobile devices, while reaping the benefits such as convenient transactions, seamless movement between channels and the ability to compare prices and review products on the move. As a result, it is important that retailers do not ignore their mobile strategies and instead work hard to stay ahead of the game while driving revenue,” Thorpe said.
Mobile is no longer just a purchasing tool, but also an experience, Thorpe added. “The key to success lies in ensuring each channel to market is underpinned by consistent and detailed product information. In order to sell products, regardless of platform, the one thing retailers must ensure is that product information is accurate, readily available and up-to-date. Consistency shows the customer that retailers can be trusted, ultimately leading to improved engagement and sales.”

Replies (0)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

There are currently no replies, be the first to post a reply.