Compaq is making its mark in delivering high-performance, manageable systems that grow to keep up with changing e-business, without adding complexity to IT departments.
The company has unveiled enhanced products and services for Compaq Tru64 UNIX, TruCluster and AlphaServer platforms.
“The market has been responding to Compaq’s UNIX offerings as evidenced by the 27% revenue growth (Q3) in our Tru64 UNIX server business, more than double the rate of the market,” said Bill Heil, vice president of Compaq’s business critical server group. “Today’s enhancements, coupled with our innovative cluster programs and partnership with Oracle, will continue to drive our momentum in this arena.”
The innovations are:
• extended clustering, performance, Internet and management capabilities with new versions of Tru64 UNIX and TruCluster Server
• Developer’s TruCluster Program for ISV applications
• an Oracle Parallel Server (OPS)-ready Alpha ES40 Parallel Data Server
• strengthening Global Services’ guarantee program goals to include up to 99.999% availability for AlphaServer GS series systems running Tru64 UNIX and OpenVMS
• the introduction of the Alpha-based DS10/DS10L systems featuring next generation Alpha processor technology and AlphaServer GS80 system availability
• the Internet debut of Compaq’s UNIX Games, a contest featuring $100,000 worth of prizes
New features in Tru64 UNIX and TruCluster Server exploit the innovations of the new AlphaServer GS series to provide superior scalability and Java performance leadership for UNIX environments. The latest Internet technologies are supported on Tru64 UNIX, including a production-ready version of IPv6 and expanded support for LDAP and security features.
TruCluster Server V5.1 offers enhanced single-system imaging, which enables customers to manage once across the cluster, reducing management time and effort. When combined with AlphaServer Systems, it reduces the cost of IT operations through server consolidation.
Compaq also facilitates installing, configuring and purchasing an Oracle Parallel Server (OPS) in a UNIX environment. The AlphaServer ES40 Parallel Data Server for Tru64 UNIX V5.1 is a pre-configured, base system tuned and designed for OPS that can handle several hundred users, based on a mix of Oracle applications.
“With Tru64 UNIX 5.1, along with TruCluster Server 5.1, Compaq has developed one of the most reliable UNIX environments for Oracle Parallel Server available today,” said Juan Jones, vice president of systems products.
The AlphaStation DS10, AlphaServer DS10 and AlphaServer DS10L systems now offer enhanced next-generation Alpha processor technology (EV67).
The GS series supports rapid business growth through capacity on demand, which allows customers to activate reserve processing power for information systems without disrupting running applications.
Compaq is the largest supplier of computing systems in the world. It designs, manufactures and markets hardware, software, solutions, and services.