Six social media lessons from 2011by
MyCustomer.com looks back at some of the major developments in business use of social media over the past 12 months and outlines what we have learned.
1. Outsourcing social media is back in fashion
2. We're moving into the age of collaboration
3. Many brands still need to learn how to respond to online criticism
4. Social media monitoring and 'socialytics' are growing in prominence
5. We can measure social media ROI – if ROI means return on ignorance
6. Organisations are starting to consider a more holistic view – the social business
Neil Davey is the managing editor of MyCustomer. An experienced business journalist and editor, Neil has worked on a variety of newspapers, magazines and websites over the past 20 years, including Internet Works, CXO magazine and Business Management. He joined MyCustomer in 2007.